Monday, April 16, 2007

I haven't abandoned you, blog!

Before I start my craft post, I can't post without acknowledging what happened today at Virginia Tech. I don't even know anybody there except for one guy who I've already heard is okay. But all I can think of is what it would be like if it had happened at my own school instead. It's so disturbing, and all I can do is pray for the survivors and the families of those who died.

So putting aside my horror and disgust and trying not to dwell on it, on with the normal post...

What have I been doing since I posted last? Well...

I've been spinning this lusciousness : Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Into this: Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Using the highest ratio and being very careful. It's for Mom. It's "Lavender Fields" superwash merino from C*eye*ber Fiber (the blueish color is actually a lovely lavender, I just can't tweak photos well). My next spinning project is this: Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

But that's been on hold quite a bit because I've been working on costumes for the local community college's Twelfth Night (ya know, Shakespeare, with cross-dressing and cross-gartering?), set in Regency England (ya know, Jane Austen?). The best though probably most labor intensive piece was altering this relic from the costume closet: Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Which got lace added (cos it was too straight) thus: Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
And then eyelet to extend the hem (cos it was too short) like such: Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket And such: Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Voila! I'm rather pleased with it. Though through tech week and the first weekend of the show, the sheer fabric that overlaid the satin of the bodice managed to rip into shreds. Why? Because the damn thing is so old it was dry rotting! Ew. I had to take the sheer overlay off. I simply tore it off, as one tears off the bill from the bottom of one's insurance statement. Oooh check me out with the metaphors. Okay so that was a simile. Sue me. (No don't really, I'm not that rich.)

Found out today about a couple nifty yarn shops in Frederick. So those need to go on the destinations list for Yarn Safaris. We need to get this Yarn Safari thing going. Though with Sheep & Wool coming up, I think that Yarn Safari season must be postponed. Can't be spending our cash before S&W! Especially since I think a charkha (sp?) has been added to my shopping list... darn you Matt! ;)

2 comments:

Trillian42 said...

Ooh - that roving is spinning up beautifully!

Nice job on the costume, too - your mom told me about the dry rot issue.

18 days to Sheep and Wool!!!

Pocket Size said...

Thank you! It's a dream to work with. I can't wait to start on the Ocean Mist merino/tencel. I'm gonna use the resulting yarn for our mermaid scarf crochetalong. So we have to do that soon, but not till I have the yarn ready!

Thanks, yeah the dry rot was, er, interesting.

I'm so excited!