Friday, December 28, 2007

Stick out your thumb...

Because here we go, into the galaxy.

I finally spun up enough of my galactic-looking roving that I felt confident in starting a project. THE project. The one I had in mind for this yarn. Which yarn? This yarn:

galaxy_yarn1

galaxy_yarn3

galaxy_yarn2

Can't you just hear "Also Sprach Zarathustra" in the background?

So the project for this Hubble-esque yarn is Calorimetry. I had to change the gauge and recalculate the number of stitches it would need, because my yarn is considerably more bulky. And I got about halfway through when I realized that somewhere along the way I had gotten my short rows all uneven (I have NO idea how, don't ask me) so I ripped back all the way to the cast-on and started over. So at the moment, I have this:

calorimetry1

I'm being a lot more careful about my short rows now. It's working up really quickly cos it's so bulky, which makes me happy. I need this headband. My ears get really cold on the way to work on mornings when I wear my hair up. This will make my ears much happier.

And do you notice the needles it's being worked on? Mom and I got each other a set of the Harmony Needles from Knitpicks. OMG. Amazing. I love them. The only slight issue I have is that with this project they keep coming unscrewed, so I have to tighten them every once in a while. I'm sure that's just because the size I'm using is a little tight for the yarn, so the stitches are uber tight. Maybe I'm wrong though.

2 comments:

Trillian42 said...

Are you using the key to tighten the needles? That should keep them from unscrewing. And remember to grab the metal base, not the wood, when you tighten them.

The yarn looks awesome. That's going to make a seriously gorgeous Calorimetry.

turtlegirl76 said...

Did you use the tightening tool? If you did, it shouldn't come undone without having to use the tool again.